Wednesday, December 10, 2008

stupid mother moment.


vince (with very strong gums) + apple wedge
= BIG DISASTER

so because i'm such a smart mother...we had an emergency on monday evening. so i've given vince apple wedges to chew/suck on many many times. well this time was different. i was working in the kitchen and talking to my dad on the phone and i gave vince a fairly large apple wedge to suck/chew on. well i heard him cough and i looked at him and saw that he was choking. to make a long story short....he was choking...i ran to my neighbors house (bare-foot) we called 911 the ambulance came out....and in the end he was fine. he's been checked out by several medics and a doctor at the hospital.
i know...stupid moment. i swear the kid will not get any food from me until he's 7. okay maybe not 7 but he has to have some teeth before i think about giving him anything. it's mush for him...mush i tell ya!

so to thank my neighbor and another gal (that's from our church and she's an emt) that helped us. i'm going to make them some goodies. i'm so thankful for people that are cool & calm and don't panic at disaster. while i was at the neighbor's house with the ambulance and the emt's i swear 1/2 our community came by to see what happened and see what they can do to help us. such a wonderful place where we live. i love everyone here and i am so happy to be apart of this community.
so here's what i'm going to make the people that helped us...and he is my recipe #2 for the extravaganza!!!

homemade oreos

{photo by www.aldenteblog.com}

(i'm going to tint the icing pink/red and roll the edges of the cookies in crushed candy canes for a holiday effect)

1 chocolate cake mix
2 eggs
3/4 c. shortening
1/2 tsp. vanilla
mix well. use a greased cookie sheet. bake at 350 for 6-9 minutes. cool well.

cream filling:
4 oz. cream cheese
4 TBS. butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
beat well until creamy.
(i like to double the cream filling recipe to make "double-stuff" oreos)

i got this recipe from a roommate at Ricks in 2001. she was a great cook.

okay well have a great wednesday!

5 comments:

Karli said...

Oh how I miss you. Seriously. I can't believe Vince choked on an apple! Poor kid. And, poor you! I bet he's forgiven you...specially if you give him a horsey back ride or something! (:

I just made those cookies (your recipe) for a few friends and put them in cellophane bags with ribbon and a in cute felt bags after that. So dang cute. And, yummy. I didn't eat any, but I put three in the freezer for my free day this weekend! Zac liked them frozen too...kind of like an ice cream sandwich. Yum!

So glad you are liking where you're at and liking your neighbors. That is invaluable. So many people have been asking me if I miss you. It's just not the same, I tell them. I do miss you. Terribly. I'm so happy you're happy where you're at, but I am so excited to play with you when you come home! Zac misses Glen too. You were definitely our go-to friends and I miss our daily conversations. Love you much! Give Vince a squeeze for us...but not too hard! (:

K

Stacey said...

we've had some close calls too unfortunately. it really scares ya! but luckily andrew ends up puking before it gets too bad. i guess that's lucky. anyway... i'm glad that everything turned out alright though. vince is such a cute little guy even though i guess he's not so little. :) i really enjoy your pics! hope you guys have a great christmas holiday!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Vince is okay. I remember one time I was tending Cody Waldo and he choked on a hard piece of candy like a jolly rancher, and I thought I was going to die! It was so so scary! I never buy hard candy anymore if I can help it.
That's too funny about the oreos because I was just telling a friend in Washington TONIGHT that I wanted to make those cookies but that I was going to roll them in crushed candy canes. Too weird! You and I must be on the same wavelength or something! I (we) miss you guys, too, even though we're the old folks...haha! We always enjoyed having you and Glen and little Vinny stop by and visit. Hopefully we'll get to see you when you come home for Christmas. I know K,Z&G miss you guys a bunch! Tell the boys hello and good luck keeping him out of things he might choke on! Love, Tami

The Funny Farm said...

YIKES! Not to scare you, but Monkey choked on an apple last year (and he was 7 with all of his teeth and "years of experience" eating apples." It's super scary no matter how old they are, and it's always better to be safe than sorry. Wish I was one of them there helping you so I could have some oreos! Guess I'll have to make some myself.

ryann said...

Scary! You're a terrible mother! Vince should live with me. His best aunt in the world. Hahah just kidding. He'd probably eat me! -Ry